Business Process Simulation Working Group (BPSWG)
The Business Process Simulation Working Group (BPSWG) is the most recent standardization effort from the WfMC, which extends BPMN and XPDL to allow for the first time the ability of compliant modeling tools to run simulations off the same input, as well as provides a standard way to represent simulation scenarios. The work of the BPSWG was profiled (July 2012) in one of the leading BPM-oriented industry publications, Integration Developer’s News (IDN) in what the author describes as the “Next-Gen Business Process Simulation Standard.”
With work beginning at the November 14, 2011 kick-off meeting, the current release target for the BPSWG standard is October 2012. Work to date includes the development of the required pieces for both interchanges of simulation parameterizations and results, including the Metamodel, Schema, Applicability Rule Table (Excel sheet), Expression Syntax, Serialization examples, and an Implementer’s Guide (all in place now). Working towards October 2012, the group is currently engaged in testing and verification, demonstration of interchange, and finalization of the Expression Syntax.
Interested parties can join the BPSWG. Developers of modeling tools or others interested in participating in the Working Group can find full project details at the Google Code project page. The project pages include a running “Issues” list, as well as downloadable resources including Schemata and word documents for simulation information.
Face to Face (F2F) Meetings: As Required
- Held over 3 days (typically Tue – Thur)
- Hosted by one of BPSWG member organization
- Members cover their own Travel & Material Expenses
- Members: Interested stakeholders desiring to actively contribute to the pursuing of the BPSWG mandate. Current member organizations include TristoTech, Process Analytica, OpenText, Lanner Group, sim4bpm, Fujitsu, TIBCO Software and others.
- Editor(s) The group may have one or more Editors to produce official versions of deliverables. Responsibility to ensure that the text flows, and that it is sensible and accurate.
BPSWG Members Participation Categories
Members of the BPSWG must elect to, and shall be recognized as to, participating in the BSWG as a:
- Developer: Regular active contributor to the development of the BPSWG standards: Intends to actually implement the BPSWG standards in their application(s).
- Participant: Regular active contributor to the development of the BPSWG standards: Practitioners with knowledge relevant to BPSWG that bring context to the work being done (breadth and depth)
- Reviewer: Reactive contributor: Interested parties that iteratively review versions and provide feedback on BPSWG deliverables.
BPSWG Iterative Process Description
- Issue identified/raised by any member
- Assignee volunteered/named
- Assignee develop a conceptual proposal
- The conceptual proposal presented/discussed at the meeting (bis)
- Assignee write Specification text proposal
- Editors integrate into current working version of the Specification
BPSWG Decisions Process
- Seek consensus everyone’s input is welcomed and desired (consensus and proof of running code)
- If a vote becomes required
- Developer and Participant organizations can vote
- 1 vote per organization
- Specification created by a dedicated designated group (BPSWG)
- Specification opened for Industry/Public Review
- Analysts, PR, etc.
- Specification Finalisation
- Specification Published
- Specification Revision Efforts (As required)
This work by WfMC is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License
The gist: You are free and we are free:
- to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work
- to Remix — to adapt the work
- to make commercial use of the work
Attribution — You must attribute the work
The gist: We are not getting together to manipulate the market
Intellectual Property (IP) Policy
The gist: Do not contribute any protected material